As the weather heats up, motivation to slave over a hot stove goes down so, put down your oven gloves as we’ve got you covered with a roundup of 6 of our favourite summer salad recipes so you can embrace this season of fresh produce in abundance and get out the kitchen quicker. From garden BBQs to quiet dinners at home, there’s a perfect summer salad for every moment. Whether you’re searching for a healthy salad, making salads for your next get together or, simply want a vibrant flavoursome salad rather than the usual sorry looking lettuce leaves with dressing; then consider this your one stop shop for the tastiest salads. Perfect to accompany grilled meats, chicken and fish, as part of a main meal or to enjoy on their own.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
This iconic salad is all about the crunch, combining sweet and savoury with a grownup feel.
For the salad: 1 bunch kale with the stems removed and torn into small pieces, 500g chicken breast, 130g candied walnuts, 2-3 celery stalks roughly chopped, 130g grapes cut in half, 1 apple cut into cubes.
For the dressing: 100g mayonnaise, 60ml olive oil, 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, zest of 1 lemon, ¼ tsp black pepper, 2 tbsp honey.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper then grill until cooked.
- In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth. Use an electric whisk on a low speed if easier.
- In a large bowl toss the torn kale, with the salad dressing. Top with sliced grilled chicken breast, candied walnuts, grapes, celery and apples. Serve!
Easy Greek Salad
Just 7 ingredients, plus a simple Greek salad dressing make it refreshing and delicious.
For the salad: 1 cucumber, 1 green pepper, 260g cherry tomatoes, 130g feta cheese, 100g sliced red onion, 100g pitted kalamata olives, big handful mint leaves.
For the dressing: 60ml extra virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 garlic clove minced, ½ tsp dried oregano, ¼ tsp Dijon mustard, ¼ teaspoon salt, ground pepper.
- Seed the cucumber and pepper and slice into thick pieces, halve the cherry tomatoes and cube the feta.
- In a small bowl whisk together the salad dressing ingredients including the salt and pepper.
- Arrange the cucumber, pepper, feta, cherry tomatoes, red onions and olives on a large platter, drizzle over the dressing and gently toss to ensure everything is coated.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of oregano and top with mint leaves.
Watermelon & Feta Salad
Summertime = watermelon all the time! Pair it’s juicy sweetness with umami goodness of feta.
For the salad: 900g watermelon, ½ a cucumber, 170g feta, ½ bunch of fresh mint.
For the dressing: 2 tbsp olive oil, 3 tbsp balsamic glaze or vinegar, 1tsp Dijon mustard (optional), ¼ tsp salt.
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic, Dijon mustard (optional) in a bowl until mixed.
- Cut the cucumber and watermelon into chunks and tip into a bowl with leaves from half a bunch of mint (save some leaves for garnish).
- Crumble and sprinkle over the feta, remaining mint leaves and drizzle with the dressing.
Peach & Tomato Caprese Salad
A twist of the classic caprese salad with just 4 main ingredients and a light dressing.
For the salad: 2 fresh peaches, 900g tomatoes (preferably heirloom), 4 tbsp fresh basil chopped, few basil leaves to garnish, 230g mozzarella, salt and pepper to season.
For the dressing: 120ml balsamic (preferably white), 1 clove garlic minced, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, ¼ tsp salt.
- Slice the mozzarella, peaches and tomatoes into ½ inch thick pieces.
- In a bowl whisk together basil, balsamic, garlic, sugar, olive oil, and salt and fully mix.
- Arrange the mozzarella, peaches and tomatoes on a platter, and drizzle over the dressing.
- Garnish with the basil leaves and sprinkle over sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Pesto “Zoodle” Salad
Low carb, full of texture, colour and flavour to get your taste buds tingling.
For the salad: 1kg courgetti, 225g mozzarella pearls, 250g pesto, 300g cherry tomatoes, 280g cooked shredded chicken, 30g pine nuts (lightly toasted)
- In a large bowl toss courgetti in the pesto.
- Top with shredded chicken, tomatoes, pine nuts and mozzarella. Easy!
Tuna Niçoise Salad
Channel the French riviera with this simple salad packed full of bold flavours. Pair with a chilled rose.
For the salad: 150g lettuce, 180g green beans, 3 soft boiled eggs, 180g new potatoes, 130g mixed olives, 170g tinned tuna (drained), 130g cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 2 tbsp fresh basil.
For the dressing: 5 tbsp lemon juice, 6 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, ½ salt, 2 tbsp fresh chives.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and allow to cool completely.
- Cook the new potatoes in boiling water until cooked.
- In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- On a large platter arrange the lettuce, top with the cooled potatoes, cooked green beans, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, eggs and tuna. Drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle with fresh basil.
Recipes taken from themodernproper.com.
For more delicious recipes, take a sneak peek at our following guides:
How To: Make Homemade Ice Cream