Throwing a party? Whether it’s for a special occasion, friends over for drinks or just a weekend with the family, every get-together seems better with a tasty nibble in hand. Well take the stress out of entertaining at home, ditch the readymade vol-us-vents and opt for homemade minimalism over fussy finger food with these quick and easy canape recipes. Crowd-pleasing bite-fulls which are sure to impress and won’t have you slaving away in the kitchen!
Asparagus & Parma Hams Wraps with Lemon Mayo
A crowd pleaser, ready in under 15 minutes.
Ingredients: 20 asparagus spears, 5-6 parma ham slices, 200ml mayonnaise, zest of 1 lemon, juice of half a lemon.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the asparagus and cook until tender (around 2 mins). Drain well. Alternatively pan fry for a few minutes.
- Quarter each slice of parma ham into shorter strips and wrap around the middle of each asparagus spear. Pan fry or grill until the ham is crispy.
- Mix mayo with the lemon the lemon zest and juice and season.
Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Rounds
Assembly only, no cooking required!
Ingredients: 1 cucumber, cream cheese, cured smoked salmon, chives
- Wash and cut the cucumber into rounds about 1cm thick.
- Spread a spoonful of cream cheese onto each cucumber round.
- Top with pieces of smoked salmon and sprinkle over chopped chives.
Season as you wish. Use a herb cream cheese for added flavour.
Watermelon & Feta Skewers
Healthy, delicious, and perfect for the summer.
Ingredients: Cubes of watermelon, cubes of feta cheese, mint leaves, balsamic glaze
- Skewer 1 cube watermelon, 1 cube feta and a mint leave together with miniature skewer sticks.
- If desired drizzle with balsamic glaze or salt and pepper.
Serve as a dip or add spoonfuls to tacos or toast for an easy dinner upgrade.
Ingredients: 2 ripe avocados, salt and pepper to taste, juice of half a lime, 2-4 tbsp of finely diced red onion, 1-2 medium heat chillies finely chopped (optional), 2 tbsp chopped coriander, half a tomato finely chopped.
- Halve the avocados, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a fork. Don’t over do it. Chunky bits add texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Add more seasoning and lime to taste.
Serve with tortilla chips, flat bread, breadsticks or veggies.
The beauty of this recipe is you can add more of the ingredients you like and remove the ones you don’t.
Crushed Pea & Mint Toast
Impressive as a canape or a beautiful light starter.
Ingredients: 200g broad beans, 200g peas, zest and juice of 1 lemon, 6 tbsp of good olive oil, 4 tbsp grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves, pinch dried chilli flakes, 1 clove garlic, 6 slices of crusty bread (preferably sourdough).
- Cook the beans and peas in boiling water. Drain and refresh under cold water.
- Take the skins off the broad beans. Add lemon juice and 4 tbsp olive oil to the beans and roughly mash. Use a hand-held blender if easier.
- Stir in the lemon zest half the cheese, mint and chilli. Season to taste.
- Lightly toast the bread and rub each slice with half of the garlic clove. Drizzle each slice with the remaining olive oil.
- Spoon the pea and broad bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
For more tasty inspiration take a look at
How To: Make Homemade Ice Cream