Moving into your first home or looking to refurnish is super exciting but can be equally frustrating and not so easy on your wallet. There is very little that beats walking into a newly decorated room. The trick is to focus on key pieces when kitting out your home, the rest can wait. Try to identify items that simply need sprucing up with a lick of paint and some creativity injecting into them. We’ve rounded up some ideas for decorating on a budget and affordable furniture picks which are big on style and low on cost
Failing to plan is planning to fail…. Be strategic!
First thing first, don’t overlook the simplicity of making a list! Write a list and set a budget, prioritise needs first and wants second. This will allow you to be clear on essentials you need and prevent you from overspending. Think quality over quantity, for instance pinch pennies on a bedroom side table, and instead invest in a good quality mattress or bedframe.
Top Tip: Focus on anchor pieces that you can furnish your home around, this might include a kitchen table and chairs, a sofa or a loveseat for the garden.
No living room would be complete without a sofa or comfy chairs, these are your anchor pieces to start with and build around. Next add a coffee table or side table for interest and much needed surface space for your accessories.
- Purchasing flat pack items or items which require some assembly tend to be a lot cheaper too so these will be easier on your wallet.
- Cube units offer versatile storage space, and ideal for displaying ornaments, books and other accessories.
Top Tip: If you are tight on space maximise your living area with scandi style furniture set off the floor with exposed legs. Alternatively, a corner sofa can be cost effective and an efficient on space.
Our favourite living room buys include…
Online Exclusive: 2-Seater Sofa In Grey, only £175. You save a huge £90.99.
Online Exclusive: Scandi Style Chair In Grey, only £120. You save 49.99
Online Exclusive: Black & Gold Side Table, only £60
Okay, there is no denying that a bed is the key piece of furniture every bedroom needs. Choose a style and size which is right for you and your space.
- Metal beds offer a contemporary feel, leather beds tend to be larger and more dominating and wooden beds add a warmer and more rustic feel.
- Bedside tables should be second on your list, they provide much needed storage and pleasing symmetry when placed either side of the bed.
Top Tip: You can always paint an old wooden or metal bed frame to give it a new lease of life. Adding pretty bedding to a spruced-up bed will add that feel good interior design factor in an instant.
Our favourite bedroom buys….
Online Exclusive: White End Table, only £60. You save £19.99
Online Exclusive: Retro Style Accent Unit, only £50
The kitchen is the heart of any home and adding a dining table and chairs is great for mealtimes, doubling up as a workstation, somewhere for the kids to do their homework and for entertaining guests.
- When space is at a premium invest in alternative options such as a fold-down table which neatly tucks away or tables where you can tuck the chairs underneath.
- Add stools to a workstation to create a breakfast bar which doubles up as somewhere to eat.
Top Tips: Choosing wood, leather or faux leather is a good shout for the kitchen. Easier to clean than fabric, they don’t absorb cooking smells and smoke, and can be better suited to those with children or pets due to their wipe clean surface.
Our favourite kitchen buys include...
Online Exclusive: 5 Piece Compact Dining Table Set, only £120. Save £9.99
Reserve & Collect: Daewoo Argyle 1.7L Kettle In Black, only £20. Save £29.99
Good bathroom style doesn’t have to have a high price tag. You may not be able to splurge on the clawfoot tub of your dreams but that doesn’t mean you can’t give your bathroom a major style update. Create accents and focal points.
- Adding accent colours can take a room to a whole new level. Achieve pops of colour through coordinated towels, bath-mats and accessories. Add touches of metallic gold for luxury.
- Updating just your taps and fixtures to rose gold or brass can breathe new life into an old sink or bath.
- Add extra storage space using an on-trend ladder shelf or stylish cabinet
- Make a statement and save on cost by introducing a feature wall painted in a bold or deep colour.
Our top bathroom include....
Online Exclusive: 2 Drawer Bathroom Cabinet, only £75.
Reserve & Collect: White Foldable Ladder Shelf, only £25
Reserve & Collect: Hotel Luxury Towels collection in Ochre, from £3.75
You can easily give your garden a budget friendly makeover so you can enjoy spending more time outside. Weather it’s upcycling some old pots or adding outdoor furniture without scrimping on style.
- Create a cosy corner. Invest in some affordable and durable rattan furniture and colourful outdoor cushions or rug to inject some personality.
- Transform your space with solar lights, a cheap and pretty way to bring a glow to your patio and beyond.
Top Tip: Solar string lights look great wrapped around a parasol or attached to a fence or balcony.
Top Tip: Add solar stake lights amongst shrubs or stick them in window boxes and hanging baskets for a decorative touch and to brighten up your plants in the dark.
Our top garden picks include...
Online Exclusive: 3 Piece Rattan Bistro Set, only £179.99. Save £50.99
Online Exclusive: Canopy 3 Seater Swing Chair, only £100. Save £48.99
For more home and garden inspiration take a peek at the following: