Have your frying pans at the ready as pancake day is just around the corner. Lemon and sugar are the obvious choice, but why not add some personality to your pancakes, whether it’s sweet, savoury, creative or classic the possibilities are endless. We’ve rounded up 5 of our favourite toppings for lip-smacking tasty pancakes you can enjoy anytime of the year.
The classic ham & cheese
Oh so familiar and comforting. Serves 4.
Ingredients: 8 tbsp crème-fraiche, 300g sliced cooked ham (cut into pieces), 200g gruyere cheese, grated.
- Once the pancakes are made, heat a large dry frying pan. Put 1 pancake in it and spread over 1 tablespoon of crème-fraiche in a thin layer.
- Scatter over 2-3 tablespoons of gruyere in a thin layer on top and then some ham. Leave on the heat for a couple of minutes. Fold in half and serve.
The full English
Nothing beats a full English breakfast! Serves 2.
Ingredients: 2 pork sausages, 10 halved baby plum tomatoes, 4 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, 3 tbsp tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp hot sauce (optional).
- Remove the skin from the sausages and shape into 2 patties. Cook in a pan until golden and crisp. Then add the halved tomatoes and fry until slightly softened.
- Grill the bacon until crispy, and then fry 2 eggs.
- Layer up a pancake with a sausage patty, bacon, tomatoes and top with a fried egg. Mix together the tomato ketchup and hot sauce (optional) and sprinkle over.
Cream cheese & strawberries
All the flavours of a classic afternoon tea, and super simple. Serves 2-4.
Ingredients: Strawberries (4-5 per person), 180g cream cheese, 1 tbsp icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla paste.
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together until fully combined and smooth. Add more sugar or vanilla to taste. Next wash and dry the strawberries and remove the stalks.
- Layer each pancake with the cream cheese mixture and sliced strawberries
Bananas & caramel & Whiskey sauce
A boozy twist on the classic banoffee flavour, perfect for grown-ups. Makes 500ml
Ingredients: 100g butter, 100g dark soft brown sugar, 397g tin condensed milk, 2 tsp vanilla paste, 75ml double cream, 4 tbsp Whiskey, 1 tsp sea salt.
- Melt the butter and sugar over a medium heat. Once melted turn up the heat, bring to the boil and let bubble for around 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and thickens.
- Add the condensed milk and vanilla and bring back to the boil whilst continually whisking. Continue to boil and whisk for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has completely thickened and a medium golden brown.
- Turn off the heat, whisk in the cream until fully combined. Stir in the Whiskey and salt. Leave the sauce to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice bananas, layer over the pancakes and drizzle over the sauce.
Creamy mushrooms with crème-fraiche
Perfect for vegetarians. Swap crème-fraiche for a vegan alternative. Serves 1.
Ingredients: knob of butter, 4 spring onions (sliced), 200g chestnut mushrooms (sliced), 2 tbsp reduced fat crème-fraiche, ½ Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the spring onions (leaving a little behind) and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Season to taste and stir in the crème-fraiche and mustard. Then layer the warm mixture over the pancakes.
For more foody inspiration, take a look at the following recipes: