Easy BBQ Recipes
Is there anything better than a sunny day, a BBQ and an ice-cold drink? A backyard bash with friends and family is fit for any occasion and pretty hard to beat. With summer garden parties and outdoor meals in full swing, it’s time fire up the grill and have your best BBQ yet. Here is a little round up of 4 easy but oh so delicious recipes fit for any BBQ (including some vegetarian options) to make sure your shindig goes off without a hitch.
Pork & Pineapple Skewers
Ingredients: 400g pork fillet, 4 tablespoons muscovado sugar, 60ml cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, ½ small pineapple cored and in chunks or use tinned pineapple, 1 green or yellow pepper deseeded and cut into squares, 4 spring onions cut equally.
- Cut the pork into cubes. Heat the sugar and vinegar in a pan over low heat until the sugar melts. Add fish sauce and allow to cool. Add the pork to the marinade ensuring the pork is fully covered. Leave to marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Thread the pork, pineapple and spring onions onto skewers, alternating between each.
- Barbecue for 2-4 minutes on each side, ensuring they are fully cooked.
Top Tip: If using wooden skewers soak in water to stop them from burning.
Ingredients: 6 slices of brioche bread cubed, 4 baby gem lettuces cut into quarters, 6 ripe peaches stoned and cut into wedges, 2 balls mozzarella torn into small chunks, ½ teaspoon lemon thyme leaves and handful basil leaves, olive oil, 1 lemon juiced, 1 teaspoon capers in brine, drained and finely chopped.
- Make the dressing, by mixing together 6 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and capers.
- Heat oven to 170-190 degrees. Place the cubes of brioche on a baking tray, and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Arrange the lettuce quarters on a serving platter, add the peaches and mozzarella and season to taste.
- Drizzle over the dressing and scatter over lemon thyme, basil leaves and croutons.
Top Tip: Swap the peaches for different varieties of tomatoes.
Seared Beef With Orange & Chilli
Ingredients: 1 ½ kg piece of skirt beef, zest of 2 oranges, 2 red chillies deseeded and finely chopped, 2 shallots finely chopped, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar.
- Put the beef in a large food bag, and add the orange zest, chillies, shallots, oil and red wine vinegar to the bag and seal shut.
- Massage the marinade into the beef ensuring the whole piece is covered and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Remove beef from bag, season with salt and pepper and place on the barbecue (ensure the coals are grey). Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side until well browned (until cooked). Spoon over remaining marinade on both sides during cooking. Once cooked, allow the beef to rest for 10 minutes.
Cheese & Chilli Melts
Ingredients: 250g strong cheddar cheese grated, 4 tomatoes roughly chopped, 1 chilli de-seeded and finely chopped, 1 can red kidney beans, drained, 8 flour tortillas, oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the cheese, chilli, tomatoes, cooked kidney beans, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix.
- Spread the cheese mixture over one half of the tortilla and fold in half. Repeat for all 8 tortillas.
- Brush the top of each tortilla with a little oil, and place oil side down on the barbecue. Cook for a couple minutes until golden and crisp.
- Brush the uncooked side with a little oil, then flip over and cook for another couple minutes. Slice each half, in half and serve.
For more tasty recipes and foody ideas, take a look at the following: